Archiving otrona attache disks

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Aug 24 15:30:01 CDT 2021

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021, geneb via cctech wrote:
> Just for my own curiosity, can a "typical" high-density 5.25" drive correctly
> image a 96tpi disk?

USUALLY.
Either the drive needs to be able to switch to 300 RPM,
OR the FDC needs to support 300bit per second data transfer rate,
(same as what was required for routine reading of 360K disks in the 1.2M
drive.)
BUT, it needs to NOT automagically engage a double-step "feature".

One of my primary test machines was a "REAL" 5170.
It worked OK for "720K" 96tpi disks (what some companies called "quad
density")

'Course, use of a 5150/5160 with a "low density" 96tpi drive, such as
Shugart/Panasonic/Matsushita 465, Mitsubishi 4853, Teac 55F, Tandon
TM100-4, or similar avoids that particular potential (but not common) BIOS
issue.