Extremely CISC instructions

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue Aug 24 08:47:33 CDT 2021

At 04:13 AM 8/24/2021, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
>move.b ([0x12345678, %pc, %d0.w*8], 0x9abcdef0), ([0x87654321, %sp], %a0*4, 0x0fedcba9)

And which language and compiler case was this aimed at?

Wasn't that a primary driver for complex CISC instructions?  That if it
happened often enough, it would be faster or smaller as a single instruction?

>(Yet Amiga owners used to poke fun at PC owners with their excessively
>complex x86, which has simpler addressing modes.)

I dunno, 68000 seemed like PDP-11 to me, and I often say one of the big reasons
I quit a particular job was the prospect of my role changing to having to write
80x86 assembler all day.

And yes I quit that job to become an Amiga magazine writer.  :-)

- John