Linearizing PDF scans

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sat Aug 14 17:36:17 CDT 2021

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:04, Al Kossow via cctech wrote:

> Jay Jager is trying to deal with scanning manuals with colored text
> and backgrounds. Is your workflow for dealing with this around
> somewhere?

I'm still using the same set of programs that I sent to you in April 2016
(as image-utilities.zip).

Have Jay contact me directly, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Spot color (colored text being a specific case) is the most difficult issue
to handle, in my experience, especially as the colors are usually screened
from CMYK.  Solidifying screened colored areas and quantizing into a small
number of solid colors that can be rendered, e.g., as a four-color PNG page
in a PDF, is not trivial, especially when text or line drawings touch or
overlay the screened areas.

                                      -- Dave