Ultrix-11

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sat Aug 14 16:26:13 CDT 2021

On 8/14/2021 1:36 PM, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021, 2:08 PM Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/14/2021 1:54 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:19 AM Douglas Taylor via cctalk <
>> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I ran into a YouTube video, that it is 5 years old, titled "Ultrix-11
>>> 3.1 on an emulated PDP-11/73" and I found it very interesting.
>>> It shows installation of Ultrix-11 under SIMH.  The fellow steps through
>>> the installation process and appears to be quite knowable.
>>> I wanted to replicate it but couldn't locate the *.tap file used in the
>>> video that was an image of the bootable TK50 distribution.
>>> Bitsavers and tuhs.org have Ultrix-11 files, but not the bootable tape
>>> image.
>>> Anyone know where the tape image is located?
>>>
>> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/DEC/Ultrix-3.1/
>> has ultrix-3.1-bootape.tar.gz and seems to be, at first blush, the boot
>> tape (or its files) that you are looking for.
>>
>> Warner
>>
>> I took a look at that file and don't exactly know what to do with it.  It
>> is not a bootable image of a tape, but rather the files that are on that
>> tape.  Have to do some more digging.  Its a learning experience.
>>
> There are several prep programs that take the tape files and make a .tap
> file.
>
> Warner

I unzipped all the cctalk images I have and in the 2000 time frame
there's a discussion about running 3.x version and upgrading to 4.x.

Fun to see digression into how Netscape is having trouble with java
extensions to the Altavista search engine they were looking for
image info with.

This is the closest to the subject I found.  No references to any tape
images of the 3.x version.

 From July 2008 archive (I think Jay has these online somewhere back
that far)

 From richardlynch3 at tx.rr.com  Wed Jul 23 20:44:41 2008
From: richardlynch3 at tx.rr.com (Richard Lynch)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:44:41 -0500
Subject: ultrix on simh

On 7/23/08 7:09 AM, "Tom Manos" <tommytune123 at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I'm running Ultrix V2 on Simh quite happily today and have a couple
of goals
 > I don't know how to accomplish. I'm hoping someone here can help.

... snip ...
I have an image of an Ultrix V3.1 upgrade tape I can send if you want to try
it.  You should be able to mount it as a tape in the simh vax emulator and
boot it.  If you want to go a little further, I also have V4.x images.
Richard Lynch

Thanks
Jim