ISO Laserjet I/II/III firmware

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Thu Aug 12 14:22:03 CDT 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 07:44:27 -0700
Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 8/12/21 7:25 AM, John Foust via cctalk wrote:
> > One step behind
> > the wrecking ball or the recycling dumpster as the case may be.
>
> Yup. I started saving Laserwriter bits when their was originally
> some interest in emulation a few years ago.
>
> HP used Canon formatters on the LW and LWII, then did their own on
> the LW III with more and more HP ASICs on them. They are all 68000
> based. Looks like they switched to i960s or 29000's up through the VI.

Yeah, the 4MV uses an i960. FWIW wrt to the earlier models, The
Printer Works based in Hayward CA sold HP printer parts, including
I/II/III items,  and had a nice online catalog with lots of diagrams,
photos, etc.  Last visible in Stockton ca. 2018. Waybacking
printerworks.com can be useful:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041114025534/http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/BX-Catalog/931BX_C3143-67901CloseUp.html

Looks like they may be defunct now, but maybe carrying on under another
name/new management? Or if not, someone else, hopefully, may have bought
the inventory. Still a number of places selling parts for these,
anyway.