Help reading a 9 track tape

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Fri Aug 6 12:21:15 CDT 2021

At 11:45 AM 8/6/2021, Jay Jaeger via cctalk wrote:
>On 8/5/2021 2:57 PM, Len Shustek via cctalk wrote:
>> > On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Jay Jaeger via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> > I know Paul well (we were contemporaries at U. WI).

Where did Paul work at UW-Madison?  I don't recall him.  I was on campus
from 1981 to 1985.

>There is also this one for 9 track drives:
>https://github.com/jakubfi/ninetracklab

Has anyone ever developed a method of reading a magnetic tape
with some sort of array of new sensors capable of the pre-1908s
densities and tracks?  A fine array of Hall effect sensors?
At 6250 BPI the bits are pretty tiny, aren't they?

- John