Compilers and languages (Was: Help reading a 9 track tape

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Aug 2 18:07:46 CDT 2021

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> I don't remember if it was Ryan-McFarland or an early MicroFocus but
> "back in the day" there was a COBOL compiler written in COBOL.

Not surprising.

One of the rites of passage (not necessarily the only one) in "computer
science" education is that every grad student invents a new language, and
writes a compiler.  The compiler is not considered finished until the
current iteration of that compiler was written in that language and
compiled by that iteration of the compiler.

One of my heresies is that I believe that each language has some things
that it does well, and some not so well.
   Certainly it is usually, and should be, possible with a "general purpose"
language, but it would seem that it would make sense to use a language
appropriate for the task.

IS the specialty of the language WRITING COMPILERS?  If not, it would seem
that a better compiler for that language would be written in a language
best suited for writing compilers (strong string/text handling and
parsing, suitable tree structures, pattern matching, and optimization,for
example).  But, it seems that the specialties of languages and compilers
are compromised for the sake of writing a compiler for writing compilers.

"The language/compiler that I created is SO versatile that the compiler is
written in that language and compiled with that compiler."  Good.  But
does that mean that the language was optimized for THAT, instead of the
specialty for which it was intended?

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com