Branching the thread away from Compaq deskpro boards: "What We Have Lost"

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Aug 1 13:32:22 CDT 2021

On 8/1/21 10:52 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 2021-08-01 11:17 a.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>
>> The lack of interest in the classic/vintage computing segments is a bit
>> surprising, since many of these MCUs far exceed the computing power of
>> many legacy platforms.
>>
>> Silicon is cheap.
>>
> Only with good marketing, and lucky designs like the 6502.
> Look at the Intel APX_432 for good example not so cheap and forgotton
> Silicon.

Non-sequitur.  The 6502 is a simple design that was steeply discounted
(grab one out of the fishbowl for $25) early on when other MPUs were
still pretty dear.

The 432 was a massive multi-chip affair that was also hugely complex.
Problems with the performance/dollar, slipping delivery schedules,
incompatibility with earlier platforms and general lack of interest in
the marketing sector doomed it.  By 1982, it was clear that it was a
non-starter.

I remember that our Intel sales rep (whom I knew from CDC) initially
talked it up in the 1970s, but by 1981, flatly admitted that we didn't
really want it.

Would the 68K have succeeded if it were not for Apple and Commodore?

--Chuck