hp 9145 capstan replacement

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 23 14:02:40 CDT 2021

On 4/23/21 11:45 AM, hp-fix at xs4all.nl wrote:
> I think I misread you answer, 4mm tube for me is 4mm inside diameter, I suppose you mean 4mm wall thickness.
> And the inside diameter of the 9144/45 is 12mm (~.5") the outside is about 18mm (~.7") (~3mm wall thickness).
> I use polyurethane to make the new capstans, turn them on the lathe.

The inside diameter of the silicone vacuum tubing is 4mm.  Grabbing my
calipers, the outside diameter is about 9.5 mm, so the wall is quite
thick.  It takes a bit of strength to get it stretched over the metal
body of the rollers--some silicone spray lubricant helps.  Once there,
it's not going anywhere.

Since it's extruded tube, it's perfectly concentric.  I stumbled on it
after ordering a quantity to replace the PVC vacuum hose in my truck.
After 25 years, it had turned brittle and was cracking.

--Chuck