GNO and ORCA Pascal

John Many Jars john at yoyodyne-propulsion.net
Sat Apr 17 04:09:10 CDT 2021

0vv0

s. Picked up all the Orca

> languages and have begin playing around with them but am not an expert
> with them by any means. There are others with more knowledge about them
> I'm sure.
>
> I started out (when I was a kid) on the PDP-11 at my dad's work (he was an
anthropologist at ASU and couldn't use a computer at gunpoint)... and then
convinced him to buy an Apple //e.  I could never convince him to buy a GS.

So, I finally found one in England (moved here 21 years ago).  Right now
it's just a ROM 3 base unit with no drives or memory expansion.  I have all
that stuff on order but COVID is making shipping take forever... so for now
I'm playing with KEGS

I have looked at GNO/ME but haven't actually worked with it yet. My
> understanding is where you can use it in place of the Orca shell, it
> isn't a 100% compatible drop in replacement. You can run the Orca tools
> and compilers and such from it without any trouble I believe.
>
> What is it you are trying to do with it? I've been trying to think of
> something that one would do in the language that would be specific to
> the shell itself.
>
> I've managed to get ORCA Pascal to compile and link.. with a litlle help
from Kelvin Sherlock... but I don't want to annoy him too much.

The kernel for GNO provides preemptive multitasking.  My friend and I wrote
a BBS in Turbo Pascal when we were kids... and it was fairly popular in
Phoenix Arizona for a while.

I wrote a new version of it in Ruby that's multithreaded and thus
multiuser... I've never really LIKED Ruby...

I also noticed that there isn't really a BBS program that is specific to
the GS... and certainly not one that is multi user.  So, I'm going to
rewrite my multiuser BBS for it but in Pascal.  This would be quite a bit
easier if I was into C.

I suspect that I'm going to have to write my own unit to talk to the
Kernel.  In theory that shouldn't be too hard, as I have the source to the
compiler and the built in units for talking to the toolbox.

But, I don't believe in reinventing the wheel for things like this...

Take Care,

Mark aka John

--
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems:  "The Future Begins Tomorrow"
Visit us at: http://www.yoyodyne-propulsion.net

--------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -- Jonathan Swift