eBay sellers

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 18:51:17 CDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 6:15 PM Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I'm slightly amazed at how some eBay sellers react. Take this item:
>
>   https://www.ebay.com/itm/154404969351
>
> which the seller had listed as a 'PDP-8 PC05'. I sent the person a message
> pointing out that it was a PC04 (as shown by the 4 rocker switches, and the
> small backplane - PC05's have a larger one to hold more cards).
>
> They sent a nice peply, but didn't alter their listing!
>
> Well, I hope the bider really is a PDP-8 owner who wants a PC04... :-)
>
>         Noel

Noel,
I went to this guys place and saw the tape reader first hand.  Its in
better condition than mine.  I was tempted to buy it but I was there to
pick up an asr 33 teletype I bought from him on ebay.   He had the Teletype
listed as a ksr, despite the reader right there in the picture. I did not
feel obligated to tell him, I just bought it.  He clearly and correctly
documented the mechanical issue with it, despite getting the name of it
wrong.  I fixed it this morning before work (related to my cctec post about
separating the keyboard from the printer)

I'd trust him with this reader and the price is reasonable, assuming it
works.  He is a general machine repair man, not specifically familiar with
computers.  I suppose he was not overly interested in exactly what he was
selling, assuming the buyer should know.  His garage workshop is like a
museum. He has a lot of boat motors and interesting gizmos hanging from the
ceiling and on shelves.  He has a pdp 8e there too.

After picking up the Teletype Karen and I went tothe Rhode Island Computer
Museum and stayed in Newport for the night.  The RICM is chuck full of cool
stuff, warehouse style.

Bill