eBay sellers

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Apr 13 18:02:22 CDT 2021

On 4/13/21 4:49 PM, William Donzelli via cctalk wrote:
> We don't trust you buyers.

So ... you trust us enough to take our money, but you don't trust us.

> Sellers of collectibles and antiques get bombarded with nitpicks and
> corrections. Often these are right, but often they are wrong.

I guess that's unsurprising.

> And sometimes it is very clearly intended to lessen the value of the
> thing being sold.

How does the intention behind the message alter the veracity of the message?

> So unless it is something that can easily and quickly be researched
> and confirmed - we sellers will mostly just let things fly, and let
> the buyers figure it out.

That seems tantamount to selling something that you have good /
reasonable reason to question the accuracy of the listing.  This seems
disingenuous to me.

Do you put any comments on the listing of "this description is best
effort" or "buyer is responsible for accuracy"?

> That being said, if I was the seller of this item and you, Noel,
> sent me a comment like this, I would think "Oh, it's Noel, he knows
> his stuff. I will deal with this". But if someone I do not know did
> the same, I would maybe send a thank you note, think about it for a
> minute or so to see if investing a bunch of research time is worth it,
> and likely do nothing. Let the buyers figure it out.

What constitutes "a bunch of research time"?  1 minute?  5 minutes?
More time than it took to publish the listing?

Is there something that random people submitting corrections can do to
make it easier for you such that you are more likely to accept the
correction and update the listing accordingly?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die