RSX11D disks on EBAY- anyone interested?

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Fri Apr 9 09:45:53 CDT 2021

On 4/8/21 4:48 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>      > From: Jerry Weiss
>
>      > I always wondered why the RKV11-D was only 16 bit addressable.
>
> The manual (EK-RKV11-OP-001) says: "Since the 11/03 BUS structure has no
> provision for extended addressing, no connection is made to the bus from
> these [XM] bits on the RKVII-D." (pg. 3-5).

Certainly the published interface is constrained by what was
"officially" released.   Just pondering if there was an internal
engineering roadmap from 16->18->22 bits around this time or did things
evolve more discretely?
>      > The DEC RK05 disk subsystem cost $10K list circa 1978 (drive, RKV-11D
>      > controller and cabinet), so this wasn't a trivial purchase.
>
> Interesting. Where did you see that listed, just out of curiosity? (I looked
> in the Jan '84 PDP-11 Systems and Options, my copy of which just showed up,but
> that's too late; I could probably find it if I pawed through all my DEC sales
> literature, but I'm too lazy... :-).
>
> 	Noel

My reference here is "A source handbook for Digital Equipment
Corporation LSI-l I-compatible products"
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.3758/BF03205335.pdf

           Jerry