OT: Newsreader for Windows

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Apr 1 13:51:30 CDT 2021

> On Apr 1, 2021, at 11:15 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> - Gravity (S.G. is updating it at GRC; https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm)
> - Thunderbird (I use this on Linux)
> - Xnews (I think?)

Sadly “Xnews" for Windows hasn’t been updated in 15 years, it was pretty good when I was using it for a short while.  It’s old enough now that it’s ontopic for this list, if you use the lists original definition of “classic”, which was more than 10 years old.

I like “Unison” on the Mac side, but it’s another one that hasn’t seen an update in years.

On UNIX, I’ve been using “tin" for nearly 30 years.

At this point, I wouldn’t recommend trying to read USENET on OpenVMS, there are a couple readers, but they’re even older than “Xnews”.

I’m not sure what’s currently available for AmigaOS, TOS, RiscOS, or Haiku (BeOS).

Did USENET news readers exist for IBM Mainframes?

Zane