IBM 5160 math copro switch

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:00:11 CDT 2020

A good game theory word problem.. The rationale causing manufacturers to
set the switch to "is installed" given they know that if there is no
co-processor installed the system will still work.  It would only be an
issue if one had the co-precessor installed and the switch was set to "none"

So my conclusion would be instructing the customer to insert the chip and
verify the switch was "on", rather than have them also flip switches,
possibly making an error is best.  I could see the conclusion would be to
ship them in the "on" position, despite possible confusion by the very
small percentage of owners who open the cover and inspect their switches vs
the risk of damaging the board or causing misconfigurstion of something
else as a result of changing switches incorrectly.  I was a support line
manager in the early 90s, I remember how simple decisions like that would
change call volume, effect labor requirements, etc.  Brings back memories.
Bill