CGA card (Mitsubishi Electric) with 192K RAM?

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Sun Sep 6 19:14:12 CDT 2020

> On 09/06/2020 3:27 PM Jules Richardson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> Output is via a DE9, and pinouts seem consistent with CGA (15.7KHz on pin
> 8, 60Hz on pin 9, 3/4/5 at TTL levels and 1/2 ground). There's also an RCA
> jack on the backplate, and that 6845 IC... it all seems very CGA-like,
> except that total video memory is 192KB.

snip

> Does this ring any bells with anyone? I don't know why it needs such a
> large amount of RAM if it's stuck with CGA capabilities. One board is
> branded WECD10 and the other WECD11, but there's no "model" or anything.
>
> cheers
>
> Jules

My guess, and ONLY a guess, is that it is sort-of CGA. Perhaps with 640x400 and/or more color depth. 192k should give 640x400 with 12 bits per pixel if my gray matter is working right. It would have to be interlaced, of course, for 640x400. Or maybe 640x200 with 16M colors (24 bpp).
Again, just a guess.

Will

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"The names of global variables should start with// " -- https://isocpp.org