Not-OFFLIST Re: domains available (FTGH)

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Sep 4 17:34:48 CDT 2020

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 3:12 PM, John Klos via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>>> I have to agree, that’s an interesting configuration.  The 1U Vaxstation 4000/VLC makes a lot of sense, this, an A1200 I’m having a bit more trouble understanding.  What is the purpose of this system?
>>
>> I would assume it can run Linux/Unix stuff? Though not sure you could get an accelerator on it.
>>
>> I wonder if it was some solution sold to TV stations that used an Amiga and a genlock in a box?
>
> The Amiga 1200 and accelerators for it are a form factor of a slightly thick and deep keyboard. Therefore, accelerators are made which don't require much height. The motherboard and accelerator fit tidily in a 1U case:
>
> http://lilith.ziaspace.com
>
> BTW - the pictures there are from the days of film cameras - that's how long ago I put it in that 1U. After recapping it a few years ago, it's back to being 100% stable.

Given that there are plenty of new film camera available for sale, I’m not going to hazard a guess as how long ago that was.  The photo’s I took last weekend were on 35mm film.

> All the machines run NetBSD, and the Alpha, UltraSPARC and Amiga systems compile pkgsrc bulk binary packages for each of their architectures. While I do use the 1U VAX to do test compiles, with 24 megs and 5 VUPs it wouldn't make much of a bulk builder. I have a VAXstation 4000/60 and a 4000/90a for bulk building.

Okay, I was wondering if this were how you’re using it.  This was just about the only use case I could think of for a rack mounted A1200.  Have you considered virtualizing your build servers?

> Speaking of VAXstations - can anyone recommend someone who does power supply recapping and repair? I would like to get the power supply of the VAXstation 4000/90a fixed, and while I could just open it up and replace the whole circuit board with one from a modern power supply, I'd really rather keep it at least somewhat original.

That’s a good question, I have four VAXstation 4000’s, the one /60 runs 24x7, the other /60, as well as the /90 and the /VLC need work.  I know the VLC has power supply issues, though if I remember correctly they’re with the bearings.  I don’t remember what’s wrong with the other /60, and the /90.  I don’t think I’ve ever had the /90 working.

I’d love to get one of the ones that isn’t running turned back into a workstation.

Zane