non-shunting jumpers?

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Thu Oct 22 14:14:02 CDT 2020

On 10/22/2020 11:30 AM, brian--- via cctalk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Oddball question here: has anyone ever seen a way to cap off or protect
> standard 0.1" pin header jumpers? Maybe there exist jumper plugs that *don't
> *conduct across the two pins? I'm looking at a piece of hardware that has
> some jumper pins on top of the PC board and I'd like to protect against
> anything accidentally making contact.  I have seen surface mount 0.05 pitch
> pin headers come from their manufacturer with protective caps, but I
> haven't been able to find anything to apply to 0.1" pin headers that I
> could by aftermarket.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated!

I'd worry that not just the jumper pins can be shorted, and whether what
was really needed was a proper enclosure.  If not, then what I'd do is
probably to go to my favorite vendor for RasPi/Arduino junk (AdaFruit,
perhaps).  I'd buy an assortment of shrouds, of the sort they use to
build their cables (which fit over header pins like these) -- the
assortment is by far the cheapest way I know to obtain them.  Then I'd
buy the crimp pins that go inside, and insert them without wires.  If I
was super paranoid, I'd use my flush cutters to trim off a bit of the
area meant to crimp the insulation, so that no metal was near the top
when I put my connector on the header.

You can also use the housings to neatly build up your most used jumper
configurations for quick changes.

	Vince