Tutor needed for college student

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Oct 12 18:20:43 CDT 2020

Jim,
THANK YOU

You are taking it further than most of the high schools were 20 years ago.
It was incredibly rewarding when I could assist an epiphany, such as that
arithmetic could be done IN binary/hex/octal, WITHOUT conversion to
decimal/arithmetic/conversion back!

California mandated "Computer Literacy" in the Community College system.
But, they didn't DEFINE it! It was left to college administators to make
THAT decision.  Not even the curriculum committee could have input.  The
administator would typically define computer literacy as being about half
of what they knew.  And we had a guy who would write a memo about room
change for a meeting in WordPervert, print it out, scan it, and attach the
JPG to an email with subject of FYI and content of "See Attached".  Half
of wht he knew wasn't even enough for the remedial job training for the
digital sweatshop.

Then, ten years ago, California also added a mandate for "Information
Competency".  Again undefined.  The state even permitted the schools to
declare that they already had suitable courses or even that "Information
Competency is adequately covered, diffused throughout the curriculum". I
created a course outline for a single semester lower division
undergraduate (community college) course introducing Information Science.
I never got a chance to teach it :-( Our administration declared that
topics such as Precision, Recall, Relevance, Bandwidth, File structures,
information representations, Search Engine Optimization, computer/internet
ethics, internet economics, internet history, etc. were inappropriate
below grad school level.  (If THEY didn't know it, then there was no
reason to permit teaching it, even though they permitted Chemistry and
Calculus)

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com