Firing up the pdt11

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Oct 12 06:59:17 CDT 2020

> When you swap the cables (and keep the drives in place), do you mean
> that you swapped the data connection **and** the power supply cable(s)?

There are six wire bundles and connectors that hook an RX01 floppy drive
sub-module to the RX01 read/write controller board (or the PDT11
controller board)

One is for the solenoid that lowers the pad onto the disk to allow
reads/writes.

One is for the sensor to detect track 1 (LED and detector)

One is for the sensor to detect sector pulse

One is for the servo motor that moves the head in and out

One is for the read/write head

One is for the 110v power to the drive motor itself that spins the belt
and the disk via the center spindle.

I did not move the 110v power wire because that is from a common harness
between the drives and it's pretty obvious the disk is spinning. :-) The
other five were switched between controller channel 0 and 1 (PD0: and PD1:)

At this point I think I'm onto the sector pulse LED not working due to
5v being applied to it. Will be working on that more this morning with a
better/more precise power supply.

CZ