cc:Mail

Tomas By tomas at basun.net
Wed Oct 7 15:10:26 CDT 2020

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 21:57:28 +0200, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> I think that we have different understandings of what the Post Office
> is in older email systems. [...]

Well, we are talking past each other. When I say client/server I mean
the connection over serial port/modem between the mobile client, not
on the same LAN as the PO, and the PO.

> Maybe I'm wrong. [...]
> Is the serial port for communications between the cc:Mail client and
> the cc:Mail P.O.?

Yes.

> I don't know.  The MS-Mail SMTP gateway that I messed with was both
> inbound from the world and outbound to the world.  But the cc:Mail
> gateway could easily have been different.

Well, I am not sure either. I need to have another look at that SMTP
gateway, I guess.

But if it is like you say they would not have needed a separate
Internet bridge? They could just have used the SMTP gateway?

/Tomas