ancient 5" SMD message

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Oct 2 10:40:26 CDT 2020

On 10/2/20 8:17 AM, Zane Healy wrote:
> There is a name from the past.  That’s a good question Al, when was the last time anyone heard from Dave?

kinda grasping at straws at this point

Eric Smith has been looking for info on the SMD Elite drives for over 10 years.

The non-SCSI Elite series were only around from 89-92

I was interested in them as the smallest physical example of an IPI interfaced
drive.

IPI didn't make much sense after SCSI-2 came out.

Probably the biggest user of the IPI interface was IBM midrange machines (S36-AS400)

The Sun IPI Elite drives are really cheap on eBay, and are being incorrectly advertised
as SCSI.