[TUHS] Seeking wisdom from Unix Greybeards

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Nov 26 19:52:22 CST 2020

On 11/26/20 4:23 PM, Larry McVoy via cctalk wrote:
> I'm sort of wondering why the solution for the problem isn't good
> enough.

As indicated elsewhere the code generating the output (via print(f)
statements) is written in (m)awk.

I'm not aware of a good / convenient / nice / pretty / shiny interface
between awk and tput, save for shelling out via system(...), which seems
less than graceful.

I will evaluate the possibility of shelling out via system(...) to tput
to get the proper string sequences.  There are only about 10 different
strings, so a BEGIN{...} could conceptually retrieve the output of tput,
store it in variables that are subsequently used in the main body and
the END{...}.

Shelling / system(...) thousands of times seems less than ideal, no
matter ho fast the CPU is.  It's just wasteful.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die