Regional accents and dialects (Was: The best hard drives??

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:58:23 CST 2020

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Liam Proven via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> (Aside: it is amusing to me, at least, that some British actors
> succeeded in Hollywood or TV analogues thereof, playing Americans, in
> what to other Brits sound like unconvincing accents: Hugh Laurie
> ("House"), Bob Hoskins ("Who Framed Roger Rabbit?").)

As an American, I think Hugh Laurie and Bob Hoskins have quite
acceptable American accents, as does Jamie Bamber (Lee "Apollo" Adama
in Battlestar Galactica).  The funny thing is I just caught an episode
of Hugh Lauie in Masterpiece Theater "Roadkill" and thought he sounds
"less British" than he did in the days of Fry and Laurie.

> It took me decades to realise, but P G Wodehouse's famed fictional
> character Bertie Wooster has the same name. "Wooster" is just a
> phonetic rendering of "Worcester". Any placename with "chester" or
> variant thereof is ~2000 years old...

>Worcester → "Wooster"

We have a Wooster, Ohio, but owing to the local rural accent, there's
a "Wooooster/Wuhster" pronunciation split.  The local joke is
"Wooster, where the cows say 'Muh'".

-ethan