The best hard drives??

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Wed Nov 18 16:27:33 CST 2020

On 11/16/20 7:27 PM, Richard Pope via cctalk wrote:

>     In the opinions of you experts out there considering reliability
> being number one on the list with speed be number two on the list what
> would you folks consider to be the best SATA drives on the market?

Not an expert, but I'm as dependent on spinning rust as everybody else...

HGST has gotten my vote and a considerable amount of my  money over the
years. I favored their 2.5" IDE and then SATA drives for ages, back to
before they bought the business from IBM.

BackBlaze reporting was a factor in switching to HGST/Toshiba 3.5" 3TB
drives many years ago from Seagate, when Toshiba was producing the HGST
design after some complicated deal splitting up HGST's product lines.
More recently I upgraded my main array to HGST He8 drives, and picked up
a box of NOS 600GB 2.5" SAS drives for system disks. All of these are
used in ZFS raidz2 setups in HP rackmount servers/JBODs 2-3 versions
behind current.

--S.