Microvax 3100 VMS 7.3 password reset

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Nov 12 11:45:30 CST 2020

On Nov 12, 2020, at 7:42 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> FREEWARE60/VMSFAQ  Item 5.5.1
>
> As an interesting aside, I was very surprised at how hard it was
> to find this on the Web.  The notion that everything on the Internet
> is preserved for posterity is really becoming silly.

Up until 3 or so years ago, I took a break from running OpenVMS at home (and only did the tiniest amount of VAX/VMS at work).  Between work, kids, and photography, I just didn’t have time (technically I still don’t, but I’m back to running a cluster, and one other VAX at home).  When I got my main system back up, I was surprised how hard it is to find anything VMS related on the Internet.  I still don’t have a good idea as to what Archives of software are still available (stuff like the site for DECwindows Freeware).

Hopefully with the move to x86, we’ll see more people interested in OpenVMS.

> As another aside, it is rather interesting how many hits for VAX and
> VMS I got that have nothing to do with what we think of as VAX and VMS.

Vacuum cleaners and virtual machines?

Zane