PC Fortran (Was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun May 31 20:16:26 CDT 2020

On 5/31/20 8:35 PM, Mich.com wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone.
>
>> On May 31, 2020, at 7:50 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/31/20 2:24 AM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
>>> On the other hand, Intel also had a FORTRAN-80 product, which was unrelated
>>> to Microsoft FORTRAN-80. Intel FOTRAN-80 ran on their MDS development
>>> systems under the ISIS-II operating system, and the compiler was written in
>>> PL/M.
>>
>> Which is even funnier when you realize that the PL/M compiler
>> was written in Fortran.
>>
>> bill
>
> As I recall, it was the cross compiler for PL/M that was written in FORTRAN. But that came first, before any 8080-hosted PL/M compiler.

You are definitely right on that. I forget what it was intended to run
on, probably some minicomputer like a DEC System-10 or -20.  Hmmm...  I
wonder if it would compile with Fortran-80 on my TRS-80.  That might be
fun to see.  I even have corrected sources around here somewhere because
after all those years of people using it I found a few bugs in the two
sets of sources that were floating around the Internet.  :-)

bill