Mac Performa 6214CD FTGH from San Antonio, TX (re-post; now tested)

Tapley, Mark B. mark.tapley at swri.org
Sat May 30 13:48:13 CDT 2020

All,
Still trying to find a home for this system (re-post but with more information, testing)

For the visually oriented, here are pictures showing the machine running:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11j__mCYOFuBAil58hAdhmSK5GMaqmcUL?usp=sharing

Things in the pictures but NOT included in the giveaway are:

1) ADB cable (Mini-DIN4) (the one in the photos was borrowed from another system for testing)
2) “square” ADB mouse (also borrowed)
3) Power strip

You get everything else.

Mac Performa 6214CD, PowerPC CPU, 3.5” floppy and CD drive on front face
Apple Extended Keyboard II (NO ADB CABLE)
Apple Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II (round - not working)
Apple Multiple Scan 15 Display (matching, includes cable)
APS external SCSI hard drive enclosure and cable (Centronix on the hard drive end, DB-25 on the Mac end)
Epson Stylus Color 740 ink-jet printer with a spare (unopened) cartridge
UMAX Astra 1220S flat-bed SCSI scanner.
ZIP drive with SCSI interface
Cables

Pile of accompanying software including at least:

DeltaGraph
Now Up-To-Date and Contact
Sad Macs, Bombs and disasters
Retrospect Backup
Astra Scanner Driver

All Free to a Good Home.
You want this if:

a) you can afford shipping or pickup from San Antonio, TX, 78254, and
b) 15 years after “Take this job and shove it” came out you finally acted on it, quit your job and set up your own home office and accounting business, and now you want to relive your glory days.

All items tested May 23, 2020. Everything worked, with the following exceptions:

1) The round ADB mouse included does not work. The keyboard does work and the square ADB mouse worked when plugged into it, so the fault is probably in the round mouse.

2) The printer doesn’t move any ink to the page. The ink is dried out, so I’m not at all surprised. I expect it to work with new cartridges, but did not test that. There is an unopened replacement cartridge included, so you can test at least the black printing if you open that.
Replacement cartridges available at: https://www.compandsave.com/Epson_Stylus_Color_740_Ink_Cartridges_s/1396.htm under $4 each.
Everything else about the printer seems to work. I hooked up to it via USB using my MacBook and software from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net and it responds as expected for an ink-jet with dried-up ink but otherwise functional.

3) I have no ZIP cartridge to test the ZIP drive. It is recognized on the SCSI bus as a removable-media drive, power light comes on, etc, but I don’t know that it reads or writes.

4) The Mac OS 8.5 on the drive will not allow me to set the year to 2020.

5) Backup battery is dead, so the unit won’t remember dates between shutdown and startup again.

5) The door to the monitor’s controls is broken, and just taped back into place.

Things that do work include the floppy drive, the CD drive (plays audio CDs), all other aspects of the computer itself and the external drive, the keyboard, and the monitor.
Driver software and media for scanner and printer are included. The scanner works, I scanned an image with it and it came up clear. The glass could use cleaning, though.

Please, please, please take this as a group, I really don’t want to split it up. Shipping will be challenging; if you are out of driving range but want it, contact me and we can talk. If you are in driving range and want it, let me know and we can meet half-way. Not looking to make any money, I just don’t want to throw it away and don’t want to lose money giving it away.
                                        - Mark
                                        210-522-6025 office
                                        210-379-4635 cell