history is hard

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri May 29 16:30:25 CDT 2020

On 05/29/2020 02:38 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>      > From: Jon Elson
>
>      > As far as I know, there was no VM/360. There WAS VM/370, which was out
>      > in the early 1970's
>
> CP/67, which was a semi-product, and ran only on 360/67's, was basically the
> same functionality as VM/370. (I get the impression that the code was
> descended from CP/67, but I can't absolutely confirm that
I think it was, too.  But, only a /67 could run this.  Any
other 360 would have big security/reliability problems if
they tried to implement this kind of virtualization.
Low-level machines did not even have storage protection
keys, and on the /40 and /50 (I think) it was an option,
although I'd guess almost any /50 had it installed.  And,
the storage protection keys were a very coarse/crude tool,
although you could set up
sharable read-only areas.

The other issue was that very few 360's had enough storage
to really use a virtual environment.

Jon