TRS80s and TRSDOS (Was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu May 28 20:16:03 CDT 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> KiloBaud Microcomputing  April 1979
> Page 148: FMG Corporation -- CP/M for the TRS-80
> That wasn't the one I used but the magazine was sitting right here
> and I don't have time to dig up which one I had.
> CP/M was available for all the TRS-80's never looked to see how it
> got around the ROM stuff, but I know it did.

FMG sold a MODIFIED/RELOCATED CP/M.  It put the TPA (Transient Program
Area) in a different place, and meant that TPA was limited to about 32K

Parasitic Engineering's "Shuffleboard", and Omikron "Mapper" (and Memory
Merchant?) placed daughterboards under the Z80 to rearrange the memory
lines.

FMG's relocation of the OS and TPA meant that a LOT of commercial CP/M
software woudn't run on it.  But some would!

Nevertheless, when I was teaching a TRS80 based operating systems class, I
used FMG on my demo machine (plywood mounted, that I carried in to UC
Berkeley Evans 10, and used the BIG overhead monitors) to be able to show
the class everything that I wanted to show them about CP/M.  Even stuff
like use of DDT and also creating a zero byte executable file for
restarting a program.
I don't remember whether FMG was CP/M 1.4 or 2.x (I think that it was
2.2), but it was "real" CP/M, enough to use as a teaching/demo tool, but
with TPA too constrained to run Wordstar with large files, or to run
dBase.
IOW, not suitable for some of the work that I would use CP/M for.
When my business included resale of commercial software, I bought ten
copies.  I only sold about half of them.

> Even had CP/M 3.0
> for the Model4 and the Model 2/12/16.

Yes, indeed!  Radio Shack marketed the CP/M 3.0 as "CP/M PLUS".