Living Computer Museum

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Thu May 28 19:48:08 CDT 2020

On May 28, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Tony Aiuto via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> So depressingly true. I run the little museum in Google's NYC office.
> I've had a bunch of working 80's-90's era machines and workstations on
> display, but they require constant repair because people are too lazy or
> entitled to treat them with care

At the fruit company there are a few such employee-curated displays but so far as I know we’ve never had such problems. Of course, there’s also the fact that only employees have access. (And even before the phone, when some guests were allowed in some areas, they had to be personally escorted at all times.)

Back during the mid-1990s there was a small “museum” display by the cafeteria of some inactive hardware under glass, and there was also a big lab of our products from every era off the engineering support library upstairs in the same building. That lab was more like LCM in that you could just go to it and work with anything; it was maintained by the engineering support library and only accessible to employees, so that’s probably why it never had serious problems with people breaking or stealing things.

  -- Chris