Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Thu May 28 18:15:19 CDT 2020

On 5/28/2020 1:24 PM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:

>> .  Evidently, there exists a lower bound of functionality
>> of computing capability in the US, and the little wedge just didn't make
>> it.
> No no. It wasn't that. It was _money_.

I think we're saying the same thing, but...

I agree all things revolve around money, and US folks appreciate a good
value.  But, given all of the options in the US, the ZX81's lower cost
did not appear to provide enough value, so it was passed over in lieu of
slightly more expensive options that offered many more features.

> You know that MSX was an American design, right? It just happened that
> it only succeeded in Japan. It was broadly a Spectravideo-based design
> with a Microsoft ROM. Yes, some design input from ANSI Corp of Japan,
> but basically an American thing.
I did not know that, or I forgot it.

> Interesting. Fred has one counter-example. Just the one. Very interesting.
His is valid.  I didn't see the TRS80 Model 1 as a home machine, but it
fits the general parameters

Jim

--
Jim Brain