Living Computer Museum

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Thu May 28 00:36:09 CDT 2020

On 5/27/20 9:02 PM, Ethan O'Toole via cctalk wrote:
>> The big problem with this situation is that it’s simply unnecessary:
>> Living Computer Museum + Labs is not independent of Vulcan, and Vulcan
>> can *easily* afford to keep the people who work there on payroll and
>> working from home indefinitely.
>
> Did Vulcan have a lot of exposure to real estate? Real estate has been a
> huge asset bubble for a long time now. Covid is a perfect excuse for it
> popping, even though it's been long overdue for a while. If Vulcan is
> taking a hit or predicting they are going to take a hit then managers
> might axe all the creative stuff so they don't miss any bonuses.

Vulcan is reported to have pulled the plug on their entertainment
division (Vulcan Arts + Entertainment). Also part of this is the Flying
Heritage and Combat Armor Museum and they put out an announcement almost
identical to the LCM+L announcement. The Seattle Cinerama theater and
Seattle Art Fair are caught up in this as well. I don't know if the
MoPOP (formerly the Experience Music Project, the Science Fiction
Museum, and Science Fiction & Fantasy Hall of Fame, which occupied the
same building) is part of this.

alan