Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Fri May 22 12:31:42 CDT 2020

Thanks for posting the timeline of various Basic interpreters.  I
wasn't aware that Gates/Allen also wrote Basic for C64.  Did download
the 8080 Basic source code out of interest, but in early 1980's had
very little to do with IBM PC.

As was working with PDP-11's at that time, really disliked 8080
instruction set and got a C64 instead which was considerably cheaper
than IBM PC and much easier to write assembly code for.  C64 basic is
fairly ugly but bought a 6502 assembler and just used Basic to
display stuff on screen and call my work was done in assembly
language code.  Had no trouble sampling switch data at 1 KHz using my
"toy" computer.  A couple of guys from UBC Physiology decided to
build a programmable stimulator based on C64 which they were trying
to sell for $2K, considerably less than the ~$10 K that the dedicated
device that was commonly used then.  Even though their timing
specifications matched the expensive device, a lot of researchers
back then didn't want a "toy" to be part of their lab setup so sales were few.

Recently found a movie Pirates of Silicon Valley which had some of
early Microsoft history and, if depictions of individuals are true to
reality, explains why I far preferred Mac in comparison to ugly early
windows.  It also helped that 68000 was a very easy processor to
migrate to after 8 years doing assembler/FORTRAN programming on a
PDP-11.  Couldn't believe it when I had a full 512 Kb of RAM to play in.