NetBSD on a VAX 3100

David Coolbear david at thecoolbears.org
Tue Mar 17 15:42:00 CDT 2020

Not exactly the same thing, but I've run several different versions of
NetBSD on both a real 3900 and on SIMH. I have not tried current, but I
have tried the 3 series, the 4 series and the 5 series - all seem to
work well. In this context, "well" is defined as (in order of decreasing
importance):

The ability to run colossal cave adventure (the 350 point version)
The ability to boot into multi-user
The ability to TELNET to remote hosts, e.g., oath.com
The ability to TELNET to local hosts
The ability to run "vi"
The ability to compile/link/run "hello.c"

I have not tried to recompile the kernel
I have not tried to compile other more obscure/exotic, but less useful
operating systems like emacs

The only problem I've come across is that the hash function on passwords is
VERY slow on the new versions of netbsd (> the 3 series).