Synchronous serial Re: E-Mail Formats RE: Future of cctalk/cctech

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jun 19 13:59:23 CDT 2020

Dave Wade wrote:
> [...]

I took a look at pin 24 on my setup and it has a steady negative voltage
so it is getting driven at least.  It looks very likely that it can be
configured to generate a clock signal for loopback tests.

Before figuring out how to do that, I had a go at making a clock from a 555.
The random bunch of components I grabbed produced a roughly 600Hz output
according to the frequency range on my multimeter and it is probably far
from square.  I decided to live dangerously, skip the MAX232 and connect
the output of the 555 directly to the clock signal inputs.  Along with
a birds nest of crossover connections, this allowed the example programs
to successfully write and read some data over the line!

Next, I tried starting up HUJI-NJE.  Initially, the link failed to connect
because one end wasn't listening when the other end was sending.  However,
I found that if I started both ends at more or less the same time, the
link managed to connect successfully.  It looks like I need to tweak the
handshaking crossovers so that this works more reliably.

I suspect the meaning of the lack of support for "BISYNC" in the DST32 may
be that I don't get the ability to generate the bisync CRCs in the hardware.
By coincidence, I was involved in a thread on generating CRCs for bisync
links on another mailing list recently so I am now fairly well versed in how
to do this in software.

Many thanks to everyone for your help with this project, especially Antonio,
Ethan, Paul and Dave.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.