Future of cctalk/cctech

P Gebhardt p.gebhardt at ymail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:55:45 CDT 2020

>On 6/16/2020 4:43 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
>> Although we all know Google will be around forever
>

>they destroyed dejanews despite promising to keep it.
>
>A few long threads I discussed things with Tanenbaum and a guy named
>Torvalds, gone.
>
>Also some responses from a guy named DMR.
>
>Google.  uh no, not a fan.  Remember google plus?  Google hangouts is
>gone this year.  I hold a grudge.  Could go on.  If they get bored with
>groups, wonder if they'll do a better job preserving it.

Google doesn't have any obligations to keep their services up and running in any ways, since they are for FREE.
They offer these as long as they contribute to generate income by providing information from their users.
And why should a multi-national company of that size stick to promises they made in the past? Unfortunately, ethics and principles don't play much of a role when it comes to making money for companies of these sizes. It's about revenue in the first place.

I think that we should avoid Google as a host, but that's just my humble opinion. Unfortunately, I don't have alternatives to come up with except for another mailing list, since I never tried groups.io.

Cheers,
Pierre