Unknown Intel blinkenlight panel circa 1973

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:29:41 CDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:33 AM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 6/14/20 8:41 PM, dwight via cctalk wrote:
> > ... Do remember that Intel's claim to
> > fame wasn't just micro processor. They were one of the first to do
> > MOS RAMs for big machines. They were more into solid state memory
> > systems than uPs, until after the 8080.
>
> Intel Memory Systems Division was largely responsible for saving Intel's
> bacon in the early 1970s...
>
> However, selling DRAM assemblies for various minis (e.g. DG and DEC) as
> well as S/370 add-on memory amounted to a large portion of their early
> sales.

I happen to have the guts for a 2MB IN-1670 memory system for the
PDP-11/70 - backplane and cards, but no box and no PSU.

https://books.google.com/books?id=fB-Te8d5hO8C&pg=PT1&lpg=PT1&dq=in-1670+intel+memory&source=bl&ots=RkDfYzcrxx&sig=ACfU3U2WL1-0-sXnyP46t2CKekXWfv5hxg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigrvyoo4fqAhXYTDABHQRsDrMQ6AEwAXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=in-1670%20intel%20memory&f=false

It's a stack of 16 memory cards covered in 4116 DRAMs and a couple of
control/management  boards that cable over to the 11/70 the same way a
DEC MK11 box does.

> Have a look at section 7 here:
>
> https://johncargin.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/intel-catalog-1973.pdf

Excellent reference.  A couple years too old for my DEC memor system,
but I happen to have a tray of MSC-4 parts and some early SRAMs,
DRAMs, and EPROMs documented there.

-ethan