Malfunctioning VT240 - help please

Nigel Johnson nw.johnson at ieee.org
Thu Jun 11 16:30:39 CDT 2020

One trick I found with the -5V if it is driven by  a charge pump: check
the voltage. If it is being pulled down since the charge pump cannot
supply the current, just disconnect the charge pump and put a lab supply
in its place.  The increased current will clean out whatever is shorting
it to ground without harming any good chips.  If you are lucky a puff of
smoke will identify the chip. Otherwise there may be enough memory
running to give you a diagnostic message to say which bit.

I did it once on an $1800 board, all chips soldered in, results in minutes!

cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE, MCSE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
    Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message