Restarting Old Amiga's

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Mon Jun 8 16:18:13 CDT 2020

> I was very active in collecting, and on this list at the beginning.  I
> also have a couple A1200’s that need work, and I used to have a couple
> A2000’s (those went to Eric Smith probably 15-20 years ago).  There is
> also a partial A500, unfortunately I think it’s missing the keyboard,
> IIRC.

Nice! My current Amiga list is an A500, A600 (under repair, I think I'm
going to replace the fat agnus NTSC chip as a shot in the dark), A2500
(68020, 4MB, SD2SCSI, Toaster) and an A4000T (in great condition but I do
need to recap it. Bought all the caps, not thrilled about the work ahead
of me.)

> The memory expansion was purchased new, around ’98.  I just removed it
> and checked it, and it looks fine.

Ah cool! Good!

> Sounds like this belongs in the same category as my two A1200’s, namely
> needing some serious surface mount work.  I know the one A1200 has an
> issue with a chip that overheats.  One strange thing about the A600,
> it’s already half apart, I’m not sure why, as it worked just fine when I
> got it, and I’ve never gotten around to figuring out how to put it back
> together.  I’ll give it a smell later today. :-)

Yep, same issue. Does the overheating chip A1200 run? There are
replacement motherboards for that but I don't think they pre-populate them
with all the common parts unfortunately. That would be cool if they did.

The A600 might of been apart for adding in a 44 pin IDE to CF card or
something? That is an option that makes the A600 awesome.

> I’ve been aware of the A3000 battery issue, I believe that I resolved
> this on the original in the late 90’s.  Pulling my spare A3000 out of
> the box, and checking it has been on my todo list for a long time. :-(
> My main A3000 has been nicely upgraded, and was even running AmigaOS
> 3.9, the last time I was using it.  It’s one of two reasons I still have
> a 10Base-2 network segment (the other is my DECserver).  For a few
> years, this was one of my main systems.

Spare A3000 :-)  If the batteries are removed from both you should be in a
good position.

> About 5 years ago, I picked up a Gotek floppy replacement system, with
> the intention of putting it into the A500.

Yea I have one of those with the community firmware and OLED screen in an
external enclosure for Atari ST Mega 2 with bad internal floppy. They are
useful and cheap.

 		- Ethan
--
: Ethan O'Toole