Dilithium Press (Computer Books)

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Jul 14 13:05:48 CDT 2020

On Jul 14, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Vincent Slyngstad via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 7/14/2020 6:53 AM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about this publisher? They apparently existed in the late 70’s and early 80’s.  They were apparently located in Beaverton, Oregon in the same business park, on Nimbus, where Norvac Electronics was.  They obviously published some very strange computer books, including what looks to be a teen romance. I find myself with an embarrassingly nice little collection of the books, that my Dad apparently had.  Considering I think he touched a computer twice in his life, they’re something of a mystery.
> >
> > Best title, “Nailing Jelly to a Tree”, which is apparently a book on Software.
> >
> > The publisher sounds vaguely familiar, and I think I might have one or two other books from them in my collection.
>
> Cool question!  I remember them as a publisher of computer books back in the day.  Never realized they were local (I live about a block from there now!).

In my confusion over why my Dad apparently had the books, I was quite surprised to notice Nimbus in Beaverton.  I went looking, I was right “Conquering Adventure Games” is one of their books, and it looks like I have a VIC-20 book from them that I inherited from a friend of my Aunt a few years ago (when she died my Aunt brought a whole carload of stuff down).

> Apparently a large line of children's classics, too.

I think that’s an unrelated venture, but who knows.

> I may not have any of their stuff, though.  Their heyday seems have overlapped my "poor college student" phase, rather than my book acquisition phase.
>
> 	Vince
>
> I miss the OMSI of old.

I miss the old OMSI as well, it was definitely better in my mind.  I’m still in search of anyone that can tell me anything about the Hunt the Wumpus game they had in the early/mid-80’s.  I’d really love to find a copy of that game.

I might actually have to read one or two of these books, just out of curiosity.

Zane