cctalk Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

Stefan Skoglund stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Tue Jan 7 19:00:36 CST 2020

sön 2020-01-05 klockan 21:54 +0100 skrev Liam Proven via cctalk:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 19:02, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> > I had been working on the IBM Microkernel (was one of the original
> > 6
> > people onthat team).  It was eventually to form the basis of OS/2
> > for
> > PPC.  The way thatthe microkernel project was structured was that
> > most
> > of the "OS" was personalityneutral (e.g. could be used for Unix,
> > OS/2,
> > DOS, etc) and then there was an OSpersonality that ran on top of
> > the
> > infrastructure.  OS/2 on PPC was supposed tobe the first to ship.
>
> I think I read that it was based on CMU Mach -- is that right?
>
> It did seem for a while that a lot of things were based on Mach, but
> very few seemed to make it to market. NeXTstep and OSF/1, the only
> version of which to ship AFAIK was DEC OSF/1 AXP, later Digital UNIX,
> later Tru64.
>
> MkLinux didn't get very far, either, did it?

Well in some way or another i got a copy with the book to Sweden.

Ran it from 1999 to 2002 or so (got a SGI challenge S as NetBSD machine
and a pc as a linux machine at that time in 2002 or so.)

Host was a 6100 with the Apple tilt display, i still have the hw, book
and MkLinux cd but the psu in the 6100 became bad....