Odd vintage computer sellers

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Thu Jan 2 14:38:38 CST 2020

On 1/2/20 11:36 AM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk wrote:
> [...]
>> The seller is still trying to sell 2 of the original 6 S4000DXs (that at
>> one point included the one that I have). However, the pricing has
>> changed. Now, instead of the old base price of around $225, the base
>> price is now $3060. Yes, $3000. But they are being offered with an 83%
>> discount, so one can get a S4000DX for the low, low price of just under
>> $500.
>>
>> I find this amazing and odd.

What I think is amazing and odd is $3000 for basically untested systems.
They don't even seem to connect up a serial console and see what the
diagnostic messages are displayed.

> It's really rather ludicrous, given how even the IDT Solbournes really only
> run OS/MP. My affection for them is largely nostalgia; as SPARC systems they
> are quite finicky and the later SPARCstations surpassed even the S4100 in
> performance.

Don't say that. I am still trying to sell one :) They are these great
systems :) The cool heat sink! The Panasonic branded SPARC processor and
other components!

alan