Emails going to spam folder in gmail

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Dec 30 10:03:47 CST 2020

> Attempting to pull in this thread a tad, there are relatively simple
> measures that can be taken to bring a private mail server into compliance
> with gmail, Amazon, Microsoft level mail server protocol and
> authentication.  Its not just gmail.  The simplest measures are done with
> DNS and TLS.  Most of the mail that I see routinely falling into spam
> folder is from what appears to be spoofed domains.  Many of these are legit
> messages that dont have a properly configured DNS record, preventing the
> receiving server from authenticating the FROM domain as owned by the
> sender.  A simple fix.

Bill,

As I said, I don't have problems sending mail to Amazon, Microsoft or any of
the large (or small) email providers except for gmail.com and other Google
email services.  It really is just Google.  I do have DNS properly configured,
SPF in place and no TLS.  I can't be bothered setting up TLS just to be able
to talk to Google when others report that they still can't get through to
Google even when they have TLS.

Not only do Google not tell me why they will not deliver my emails to their
customers, they don't tell their customers why they block non-spam emails
that they want to receive either.  The most a Google customer has ever been
able to pass on to me that Google given them by way of explaination was
something like:

"This mail was tagged as spam because messages similar to it were spam"

which of course is complete nonsense.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.