ISO: TI 980 (not 980A or 980B) Hardware docs

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 04:07:13 CST 2020

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM Josh Dersch via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> A straight TI 980 (not one of the later 980A or 980B variants) appeared on
> my doorstep this afternoon.

Interesting.  Unfortunately, I have no docs (outside of what's on Bitsavers).

Mine is the later 980A variety, FWIW, with fat TI4060 DRAMs not core.
I only recently got a console key for it.

> (Anyone have any spare parts? The core memory boards & chassis are labeled
> well enough for me to see that I'm missing one of the "DA" boards...)

The only spare parts would be some memory boards.  I'll have to pull
them out and check them, but definitely DRAM and I think 8K or 24K
capacity, and I have no idea if they work on all variants or just
specific models.  No spare I/O or CPU boards.

I was just glancing over at the docs on Bitsavers to see what it might
take to write a memory tester to toggle in.  Nothing exhaustive just
simple write-read-compare testing.  I know nothing of the architecture
so even that would take me a bit to figure out.

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ti/980/

-ethan