Emails going to spam folder in gmail

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Dec 28 16:40:25 CST 2020

> Apologies for asking but what the gmail standards?  Anything from
> yahoo.com, some of Google's own alerts, and items from
> lists.dwarfstd.org were all marked as spam.

They really won't tell you. I run into problems with them from time to
time, they seem to want to only talk to microsoft.com type domains and
other big email domains. Which is odd because a lot of junk comes from
them. Maybe they get a cut. Or maybe Gmail just wants you to use it
instead of anything else.

However setting up SPF records is a very good start. Alembic follows
DMARC standards by using SPF which is considered a pass by pretty much
everyone but does not do DKIM (mainly because it's a pain to set up on
the client).

A good place to start is:
https://tools.socketlabs.com/dmarc/generator

Also helps to do TLS encryption which requires real certs. LetsEncrypt
is an excellent way to get a trusted cert on your system without paying
$100's per year.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9276512

Good basic mail tester
test-vckcjzcej at srv1.mail-tester.com