Help needed identifying old MFM drives from the excavation

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 21:39:00 CST 2020

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 7:34 PM Chris Zach <cz at alembic.crystel.com> wrote:

> > I'd suspect that at least a few of these were from PERQ systems, given
> > their provenance.  Vertex V150s and Miniscribes were commonly used in
> > the T2 models.  As another listmember mentioned, Dave Gesswein's MFM
> > emulator will image these (and can decode PERQ hard drive formats.)
>
> Probably. I didn't realize Perqs used reasonable sized drives, there's a
> box there I've dug out with what looks like a transparent 8 inch drive
> that I will try to disassemble and get up the stairs next time. Think
> "dungeon" and "Y2" class steps....

Yeah, the later models used 5.25" media; the rare PERQ 2 used 8" Micropolis
drives, and the PERQ 1/1A used 14" Shugart SA-4000 drives.

> > (If you do manage to capture PERQ images, please let me know...)
>
> Absolutely. I have yet more Perq manuals as well and floppies. Did Perqs
> only use 8 inch disks or should I keep eyes out for 5.25 as well?

8" floppy media exclusively.

> https://i.imgur.com/ohuohvC.jpg

That's a 14" Shugart SA-4000, given that it came from Bob's basement,
definitely a PERQ disk.  Tough to read without a PERQ but there may be some
options nearby you, if you manage to extract it from the basement.  Make
sure the spindle and heads are parked before moving.

- Josh