Network gear that supported StarLAN 1 (not 10)

Mike Begley spam at hell.org
Thu Aug 20 00:50:38 CDT 2020

Wow.  I ran StarLan 1 around my apartment in college, using an AT&T 3b1 as the hub and a collection of 8088 PCs with 8-bit ISA cards scattered around.  I could rlogin (not telnet, from my recollection) from any of the PCs to the 3B1, and dial out through a 14.4 modem into the university network.  Only one at a time, mind you, I never got SL/IP or PPP running, but still, it was like living into the future.  A network...in my own house!

To my recollection, StarLan was entirely an AT&T product, and few if any other vendors supported it.

I MAY still have the StarLan board for the 3B1 around (along with most of the 3B1 disassembled in parts).  But all the PC cards, the hub and documentation are long gone.  I believe I sold them to someone in Yellowknife, but this would have been well over a quarter century ago.

You might be able to find some additional info in the archives in the comp.sys.3b1 usenet group.  Shockingly, I just noted that has actually been a smattering of on-topic (not spam) chatter there in the last few years, even as recently as April, so there's a handul of users still out there with these machines in hand.

Good luck,

-mike