Charles Lasner [Was: Re: LINC-8]

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Apr 27 09:40:12 CDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:08:24AM -0500, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk wrote:
> Charles Lasner.  He passed the weekend of April 3rd due to
> complications from the COVID-19 virus.  I'm fuzzy on his exact
> biography, but he was big in the development of OS/8 for the PDP-8 at
> DEC.  His current project was an update of OS/8 which he called
> P?S/8.  Apparently he owned multiple LINC-8's according to comments on
> the Facebook group.

He also worked onKermit-12, for instance the code that identifies which
PDP-8 machine it is running on. It is quite fun to follow that code. It
can, impressively, separate between a PDP-5, LINC-8, PDP-12, Straight-8,
8/S, 8/I, 8/L, 8/E, 8/A, 6100 and 6120.

Here, search for "MACHINE,.-."
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/d/k12mit.pal

A lot of PDP-8 know-how and trivia went with him, sorry to see him go.

/P