VAXmate PSU

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:51:52 CDT 2020

onsdag 8 april 2020 skrev Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com>:

> I will look at all the suggestions, particularly of a failure on the
> secondary side. Something must have burned up, because there was a distinct
> burning smell after the initial failure, although I have never been able to
> see any physical damage to anything, despite looking many times.

Aha. Don’t think I seen you writing about that before, or did you? It might
be very hard to find the source some times. Even just a small burn will
give quite some smell. Check ALL semiconductors very carefully.

> But the thing that really puzzles me is that, after correcting the probes
> to include the D19 anode, there doesn’t seem to be anything that would
> cause D19 to trigger. Am I reading the trace wrong?

It is very hard to tell from the traces what is going on since the
resolution is too low.  Use a faster timebase. 5 or 10 microseconds. Find
out if you can trigger on something that happen only when it stops. Like
channel 2 negative slope.

/Mattis